Updates and Events
2006 Fiscal Symposium
How Will Illinois Continue Funding Essential Services?
CTBA's Annual Fiscal Symposium was held on January 17, 2006, and explored the current status of Illinois’ finances and what must be done to ensure Illinois has the sustainable capacity to fund public education, health care, human services, the state pension system, economic development and other essential state services, fairly, competitively and adequately.
The moderator for the event will be Charlie Wheeler, Director of the Public Affairs Reporting Program at the University of Illinois, Springfield. Speakers for the event include:
- Mike Lawrence – Director, Southern Illinois University Public Policy Institute and Former Press Secretary & Senior Policy Advisor to Governor Jim Edgar
- Jim Nowlan – Senior Fellow, University of Illinois Institute of Government and Public Affairs
- James M. Houlihan – Cook County Assessor
- Matt Powers – Principal, Health Management Associates
- Fred Giertz – Professor of Economics, University of Illinois, Urbana
- Mathew Gardner – State Tax Policy Director, Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy
- Representative Mary Flowers (D, Chicago)
- Representative David Miller (D, Calumet City)